Monday, July 27, 2009

In Need of a Blessing

But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth. And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague. Mark 5:33-34 (KJV)

Our text today is best understood by examining the pretext. Jesus has just returned to the region of Galilee. He is immediately met by a crowd of people pressing against him. One of the rulers of the synagogue came and fell down at his feet and told him about the situation involving his little girl. His daughter was extremely ill at the point of death. He begged Jesus to come to his house and lay his hands on her that she would be healed. Jesus consented to it and was on his way through the crowd to Jairus’ house to heal his daughter. Jairus was undoubtedly worried about his little girl and relieved at the same time that Jesus was on his way to heal her. All was going well until Jesus was interrupted by someone touching his clothes. What was going through Jairus’ mind when Jesus stopped and turned around? Did another person’s request interrupt Jairus’ blessing? Does Jesus know how important it is to get to his daughter’s bed side? His daughter was at the point of death. Who could possibly have a request that was more important than life or death? Let’s take a look at this scenario:

I. Jesus was Responding to Jairus’ Request
A. Jairus asked Jesus for a Healing Miracle for His Daughter
B. Jesus went with Jairus to honor His Request

II. The Unnamed Woman Who would not be Denied
A. Was determined to be Healed of Her Hemorrhage
i. She had Suffered for Twelve Years
ii. She had Spent all of Her Money
iii. Her Condition was Worse after seeing many Doctors
B. Tried to Sneak upon Her Blessing
i. She came up behind Jesus as He was going to Heal Someone Else
ii. She came as One that was Anonymous in the Crowd
iii. She was Willing to remain Hidden after She was Healed
C. Interrupted Jairus’ Blessing to receive Her Own
D. Was called forth to give a Testimony

Sometimes it seems as though we find ourselves in Jairus’ situation. We have prayed for a blessing and it seems as though God is moving on our behalf. But before we receive the blessing it seems as though other people are getting what we have been praying for. How dare this woman sneak up to Jesus and get a healing while he was on his way to heal my daughter. Why is it when I prayed for a promotion it seems as though others got promoted all around me? When I prayed for answers, others got breakthroughs. But I have also been in the same predicament as the woman. I know others are being blessed but I also need a blessing. I don’t always have time to get in line for a blessing. Sometimes I need a blessing right now. When I don’t have a Plan B, I need a blessing right now. When I have used up all of my resources and no longer have the “hookup”, I need a blessing right now. When I cry out “Savior, Savior hear my humble cry; while on others thou art calling, do not pass me by.” that means that I am in need of a blessing. I don’t believe that Jesus went through what he went through not to bless me for putting my trust in him. Surely, I must have been on his mind when he went up Calvary Mountain. When he was nailed to the cross and suspended between heaven and earth, was it not to secure the blessing of eternal life for those that put their trust in him? When he took on our sins and died, was it not to secure our future? I feel blessed to know that he rose on the third day to give us the assurance that he will also raise us up. Are you in need of a blessing? Try Jesus.

Robert C. Hudson
July 26, 2009